Friday 4 April 2014

D is for Day Off

It's my day off! Sort of!

As I mentioned in my first post, I kind of have two jobs at the moment. I work in my local hospital here in X-Town (you could easily find out where I live, creepy internet strangers, if you wanted to, in fact I'm fairly certain it's on my profile here, but I'm still not going to out and out say it!) 30 hours a week, and I've recently started doing proofreading too. Yep, it's the dream - working from home! Not so much the dream when you have to go to an actual place of work on top of it, I guess.

So right now I spend most of my days off, well, working. I don't mind, because I really enjoy it, but I have to admit my brain hasn't turned off for about two weeks straight. Perhaps that's why I'm absolutely not sleeping at the moment.

It's not forever, anyway. Before you ask, yes I am on an official break, the kettle is boiling and I'm due a tasty and invigorating cup of tea! But, if I was being honest, I would have to admit that I don't have as good discipline yet as I will definitely need if I start working from home full-time. You know those pretentious people sipping lattes in expensive corporate coffee chains, staring at their laptops...  Well, I bloody love being one of those guys, I really do - and please believe me, I actually work a lot better in that situation than I do at home! Whether I'm writing, alone or with my writing buddies, or working, I genuinely get a lot more done. You might think there would be more distractions in town, but in fact there are less. Well, technically there are more, but I have to get up and go out the door, and actively get myself distracted by them. At home, it's a few steps to the fridge, or the tv, or the bookshelf, or whatever craft project I'm working on, or my bed... Comfy, comfy warm bed... Did I mention I haven't been sleeping? Seriously though, the only distraction in a coffee shop is the temptation of a fresh hot and dangerously caffeinated beverage (accompanied sometimes by a delicious sugary cake of some kind) which is not only delicious and comforting, but also just spurs me on with my words, whether I'm changing them or writing them anew.

Honestly, I would genuinely suggest you try being one of those guys if you want to up your laptop based productivity. After a while, your brain just associates these places with writing and working, and you'll be surprised how much you get done there - and how good some of it is. Some of it, not all of it. If it's not your thing, awesome, I'm just telling you what works for me (and my bestest writing buddy of all, www.stevenchapmanwriter.com) but at least next time you raise an eyebrow at a pretentious coffee shop writer, you can think "there's a guy who I'm only eighty or so percent sure is not actually doing anything and just wants to look impressive!"

Today's post has been brought to you by the spirit of not actually writing about what you thought you were going to write about! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment